Growing Blackberries in Colorado
P.S. I know what I said, but look at how beautiful these blackberries are? I just couldn’t resist this very last berry post for all the small-space, balcony, and patio growing Modern Farmsteaders out there. Grown in large containers or smaller raised beds, Babycakes are also fantastic for gardens with kids because unlike most blackberries - Babycakes have no thorns. They are self pollinating so you can choose to grow just one (but why?) I have three in barrels and this one gave me so much fruit last year! Babycakes blackberries tend to have two crops, one in mid summer (from last year’s floricanes) and the other in early fall (from the current year’s primocanes). My two final plugs on why I think we need these small but mighty wonders:
1. Many of us are not crazy about blackberries because once we have the pint home from the store (which cost more than our favorite drink from Starbucks) they taste sour enough to make us pucker up for days. That is because the growers pick berries in a unripened state so they won’t be moldy by the time they reach the store. If they are grown at home you can check them in the morning with your oatmeal at the ready and pick them at their optimum sugary sweetness.
2. These grow in an upright format which is beautiful for foodscaping. The white flowers and green foliage are gorgeous in the spring. The dark berries are eye-catching in the summer and with the high amounts of vitamin A and C and some of the highest levels of Antioxidants in the garden - they are great for our health too.
4 pints of ripe, homegrown blackberries, 2 cups of oats, 1/2 cup of brown sugar or other sweetener and a stick of butter
1. Put the berries in a non-reactive pan over low heat till they have given up some of their juice but are not completely broken down.
2. While they are simmering - combine the oats, sugar and butter w/fingers.
3. Put the berries in a nonreactive baking dish and top with the oat mixture.
4. Bake at 350 for 20-30 mins until the oats have browned.
5. Serve with vanilla ice cream.