Herb Series: Potential Medicinal Benefits of Chamomile
Tea anyone? German chamomile is one of my all time favorite herbs to grow because of its wonderful health benefits. Several of the following are currently being researched so check with your health provider, of course, but I have listed some of the research that I have found re: ways that it can potentially benefit one’s health and lower the risk of disease. As if all this wasn’t enough, I love how easy it is to grow, how wonderful it smells, and how beautiful the little blooms are.
1. Chamomile contains apigenin an antioxidant that in lab studies, in test tubes, fought breast, digestive tract, skin, prostate, and uterus cancer cells.
2. Several studies indicate that it can aid against insomnia and night time wakefulness.
3. Limited studies in animals suggest that Chamomile might have anti-inflammatory properties which could help with chronic digestion issues such as diarrhea and ulcer development.
4. Some studies show that drinking chamomile tea can help regulate blood sugar. Though most of the studies done have been with animals, one promising study with 64 diabetic individuals showed that when they drank chamomile tea daily with meals for 8 weeks they had much lower than average blood sugar levels than those who drank water.
5. Chamomile may support heart health. It has an abundance amount of flavones - antioxidants linked to reducing blood pressure and cholesterol.
*Information gained from Healthline